Working in teams helps give us different perspectives and enhance our performance.
Performance management traditionally focuses on the individual, whereas SuccessFactors in combination with Social Performance Management (SPM) offers the tools and vision to allow teams to perform and motivate each other.
In a previous blog and webinar we looked at how important the recognition a team gets from their manager who is following the delivered performance model (which involves regular direct feedback instead of just an annual appraisal). If this is used in combination with SPM, employees will feel recognition as well as receiving direct coaching.
Social Performance Management is important for 2 reasons:
- Increases both the individual and team’s performance
- Has a direct impact on the work environment
Talent in an organisation is often mapped by a Performance Potential Matrix (9 grid matrix). This model looks at the individual’s performance. Wherever the individual falls determines their place within the organisation which then helps them develop along the relevant career path.
For example, if the individual is categorised as a "Potential Gem" (low performance, high potential), the organisation can make the decision to provide additional help or say goodbye. "Potential Gems" are often good craftsmen, with high potential that they don't appear to use. It may be that the work environment is demotivating, and if this is the case, it is detrimental to both current and any future roles within the organisation.
"Potential Gems, often spend less than a year with an organisation, incuring high recruitment costs and need a lot of time and attention. SPM can provide the organisation with additional insight and possibly suggest this person be replaced. The organisation needs to note that the working environment remains the same, so any successor is in danger of also becoming a "Potential Gem".
In a recent SAP white paper, Steven Hunt talks about 5 Social Performance Management conceptual personas.
Within the " Peloton model" he describes the following:
- The break-away contributors (The Star): Passionate workers with exceptional assessments and results
- The leading-edge contributors: Inspired by the break-away contributors and strive for an above-average assessment
- Solid contributors: This represents the vast majority of workers. They wish to be valued for the work and contribute more than adequately to the objectives of the organisation. These are often very solid employees who are at the heart of the organisation and contribute to sustainability and continuity
- Trailing contributors: Are struggling to keep up with others
- Straggler contributors (Potential gem): These workers weaken the success of others. They may well be very good employees, but at that moment perhaps their role isnt suitable for them
The mentioned “Potential Gem” employee can be seen as a Straggler contributor. The “Star” from the grid matches the “break-away contributor”.
SuccessFactors offers the tools and the vision to help improve motivation and performance.
Below are some examples of functionalities that SuccessFactors offers for Social Performance Management (SPM)
- Badges: Assigning a personal symbol such as team player, great worker, leader and thank you to a colleague in the form of a badge
- Talent-Pools: Employees who provide a good working environment can be placed in certain pools. Pools could be made for each of the employees according to the peloton model.
- Performance – Potential Matrix 2.0: SuccessFactors makes it possible to classify employees in the 9 grid highlighted
- Coaching: Supervising employees to evoke a positive effect on their work environment. Employees can grow through coaching and progress to new roles.
- Continuous performance: Coaches are managers and colleagues (e.g. knowledge holders, stars)
- 360 degree feedback: You can ask for and collect feedback
- Tags: For employee recognistion and so that staff know how to find the right people
- Coaching of employees: For them and their managers
- Team goals: Improving performance based on team goals
The SuccessFactors modules Performance & Goals and Succession & Development offer optimal functionalities for SPM within your organisation.
If you want to find out how SuccessFactors and SPM can help your business, contact our experts...